About the NSW RSA:

The course offered online through our Registered Training Organisation (RTO) covers the content specified by Liquor and Gaming NSW and is specific to the requirements only recognised in NSW, and has been officially approved by L&G NSW.

Easy Steps To Getting Your NSW RSA Certificate:

Here’s how get your RSA certificate in 8 easy steps –

1. Register online and pay for the course with a credit card.

2. Go through the interactive course material fully online.

3. Complete the assessments online.

4. The assessment will be marked by one of our assessors and your Certification of Completion, together with your identity confirmation information will be sent to you to download.

5. Upload your Identity Documents and your details will be added to the Department of Liquor Gaming NSW database.

6. You will receive your Interim RSA Certificate in a few days through email.

7. Visit a Service NSW location to apply for your Photocard. Click here to find a Service NSW outlet that can process photo competency card applications or call 13 77 88. You will need to take your L&GNSW Interim Certificate with you and the proper, original documents to authenticate your identity, to the value of at least 100 points.

8. When you visit your nearest Service NSW Centre where they process photo competency card applications, take your L&GNSW Interim Certificate and attend the interview in person.

Service NSW will take your photo and your Photocard will be processed. You should receive the Photocard within 3 weeks. The Interim Certificate is valid for 90 days before it must be replaced with your Photocard.

For further information our agents are available on LiveChat or through our call centre.

Start Now Start Now

Objectives and Outline of the RSA NSW Course

The objective of the course is to enable you to,

  • Sell and serve alcohol in a responsible manner
  • Understand appropriate drinking limits and help customers stick to them
  • Assess intoxicated customers and identify if they need to be refused alcohol

Course Outline:

The five course modules are:

  • Responsible Service of Alcohol introduction and legislation
  • The effects of alcohol
  • Responsible practices for the hospitality industry
  • How to refuse service
  • A summary of the course

1. Introduction

  • This module provides an understanding of the purpose of Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA).
  • What is required for various parties with responsibilities for RSA.
  • Fines and penalties for failing to meet requirements.

2. The Effects of Alcohol

  • Understand what is a standard drink and how to prepare them.
  • Learn how alcohol affects a person’s blood alcohol consumption/ BAC level.
  • Effects of alcohol on the body and how to identify an intoxicated patron.

3. Responsible practices for the hospitality industry

  • Looking into different responsible practices including how to give customers correct information, responsible promotions and encouraging responsible drinking.

4. How to refuse service

  • Learn which customers need to be refused service.
  • Learn how to refuse service using a method called ‘Take Care’.

Start Now Start Now

The NSW Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing (L&GNSW) requires anyone working in licensed premises, selling, supplying or serving alcohol to be in possession of a Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate.

The requirement for a RSA certificate extends to the Licensee, the Secretary of a registered club or staff who may perform crowd control or serve as a bouncer. It also extends to RSA marshals if the venue requires one.

If you work in the hospitality sector, in a licensed venue you will need to produce the photo competency card if requested by a police officer of L&GNSW inspector.

The photocard lasts for 5 years, after which time the course will have to be repeated. The cost of the photo competency card is included in the price of the course.

As a RTO (Registered Training Organisation), Urban E-Learning, RTO number 31973 pay OLG NSW $90 for each competency card issued. We do not make a profit or commission from the competency cards. The $85 is added to the cost of the course, which varies between different training organisations.

If you’re looking to work in a licensed venue in another state or territory as well, you will need to complete a fully, nationally recognised RSA Course to obtain a statement of attainment.

It’s a good idea to consult the governing body of the state or territory you wish to work in for their specific RSA training regulations.

Start Now Start Now


Other Courses:

Work Safely In The Construction Industry | Food Handling