Eliminate Face-to-Face Training Hassle

Here’s how it works (This is the process required by L&GNSW/Department of Liquor and Gaming):

Step 1: Register and pay for your course;

Step 2: Complete your online course at your own pace and from the convenience of home using our interactive online course;

Step 3: Once you’ve completed the course content, you’ll then complete the assessments provided for you through our online assessment centre;

Step 4: Once your assessment has been marked and approved by our assessor, you’ll receive a downloadable Certificate of Completion and information regarding identity confirmation requirements

Step 5: You will need to upload your ID Documents through your student account. On receipt of your identification documents, your details will be entered into the Department of Liquor and Gaming NSW database and your Interim Certificate will be emailed to you (within 1-2 business days);

Step 6: To get your Photocard, you will need to apply at a Service NSW Service Centre. To find your nearest Service NSW location, go to https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/service-centre or call 13 77 88 to find your nearest participating outlet. Please note: NOT all Service NSW outlets can process photo competency card applications. So we would advise you to check first!

Step 7: Get your ID documents ready. In order for Service NSW to process your Photocard application you will need to have your L&GNSW Interim Certificate, AND the correct documents to prove your identity. These must be original documents to the value of at least 100 points that prove your identity. Details of acceptable documents are listed on your interim certificate;

Step 8: Go to your nearest Service NSW centre with the documents listed in Step 7 above;

  • Attend the interview in person (other people can’t apply for the photo competency card for you);
  • Take along your L&GNSW Interim Certificate;
  • Bring the right documents that prove your identity (100 points or more). If you don’t do this, your application can’t be processed by Service NSW

Your photo will be taken at Service NSW as part of the application process. Your Photocard will be ordered and sent to you within 3 weeks. You have 90 days to get your L&GNSW Interim Certificate replaced with your Photocard.

Please refer to the L&GNSW NSW Student Page for further information How to get your competency card.

If you need any assistance you can contact us through our Contact Us page here.

Start Now Start Now

What Our Clients Say About Us

Urban E Learning IconUrban E Learning

1/17 Henry Street, Spring Hill

4.5 125 reviews

  • Avatar Luke G ★★★★★ in the last week
    Great course, clear, easy to participate and can be done in your own time.
  • Avatar paul fraser ★★★★★ 5 months ago
    I was very happy with the course I did with Urban E Learning and I highly recommend them. Thank you for a positive learning experience.
  • Avatar rodney davis ★★★★★ 3 weeks ago
    This course was informative and the trainers extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
  • Avatar Stef Macleod ★★★★★ 8 months ago
    Well priced online e-course, content delivered well & everything went so smooth. Thank you for providing an excellent training package
  • Avatar Leticia Schumann ★★★★★ 6 years ago
    Peter and the team at Urban E Learning have been very supportive to my business and open to giving us as much assistance and support they could provide any time of the day or night. They were quick to respond to our needs to insure that … More we sorted out issues we were having with our business website in the quickest possible time frame. I had been looking for quite awhile for a team that could provide the support I needed and that I wasn't getting from my previous website hosting provider. I would recommend Urban E Learning to anyone who is not too savvy with all things website related. They are very efficient and dependable. Thank you!
  • Avatar Shawn Youn ★★★★★ a year ago
    I had a great experience studying this course. Highly recommend to co-workers whoever is in need.
  • Avatar Maila Walker ★★★★★ 11 months ago
    Very happy with course content, informative and value for money
  • Avatar Jeff Peters ★★★★★ a year ago
    Great course, I feel confident with my new skills and knowledge. Money well spent.
  • Avatar Lance Scott ★★★★★ a year ago
    Bloody awesome to learn things we thought we did but were lacking. So don't hold back just do it.
  • Avatar Mai Anh Nguyen ★★★★★ 2 years ago
    Friendly, fast and helpful support from trainers and staff when needed! Plus various courses to choose from with very easy, flexible yet professional online module to follow. Highly recommend!
  • Avatar Sarawut Lom Mosel ★★★★★ 4 years ago
    One of the best experiences I've had the pleasure of interacting with in regards to online training. The course I did (TLIF0005 Apply a fatigue risk management), is thorough and on point, and doesn't deviate from the relevant … More topic. The supplementary material is quite vast and I was able to download and keep them for future use. Overall, I'm very satisfied.
  • Avatar Steve Sparkman ★★★★★ a year ago
    never to old to learn new things
    i have enjoyed the flexibility of this course
    and highly recommend it .
  • Avatar Jaimmy Hountalas ★★★★ 5 years ago
    Definitely worth $20 and meets the NT requirements for the RSA certificate. A few IT issues with the power point presentations which I have reported. Nonetheless, I would recommend Urban E Learning to my colleagues. It was thorough and … More presented well and I enjoyed my overall learning experience. The staff when contacted were all great too which is a bonus.
  • Avatar S S 41 ★★★★★ 2 years ago
    Fantastic service, excellent communication by Lydia every step of the way. I would highly recommend this company without hesitation.
  • Avatar Smiling Assassin ★★★★★ 2 years ago
    Lovely staff and didn't try to rush. Helped make the phone call not stressful
  • Avatar Derek Tew ★★★★★ 2 years ago
    A great way to acquire skills and certificates from the comfort of your own home, in your own time.
  • Avatar Decadent Diva ★★★★★ 3 years ago
    The Qld RSA Course was an online course that was well paced, covered all the necessary information required and at a reasonable price. The assessments were done via the pc and 3rd party assessment.
  • Avatar Anita Hansen ★★★★★ 3 years ago
    Great course, thorough and detailed content.
  • Avatar captainbat100 ★★★★★ 3 years ago
    This is one of the best sites to do RSA on - highly recommend

Course Content

This course provides the required NSW specific RSA content fully approved by Liquor and Gaming NSW. This course is recognised in NSW and for those who enrolled on or after 01 July 18, it also results in a statement of attainment for SITHFAB021 - Provide responsible service of alcohol. This statement of attainment allows you to work in a licensed premises in other states or territories, (except VIC and ACT). You should check with the governing body of each state or territory that you may wish to work in for their specific RSA training requirements.

Course objectives:

By the end of this course, you will be able to:

  • Sell or serve alcohol responsibly
  • Assist customers to drink within appropriate limits
  • Assess alcohol-affected customers
  • Identify customers who must be refused alcohol, and
  • Refuse to provide alcohol

Course summary:

This course consists of five modules, including:

  • Module 1: Introduction to RSA and the legislation
  • Module 2: Alcohol and its effects
  • Module 3: Responsible hospitality practices
  • Module 4: Refusing service
  • Module 5: Course summary

Module 1: Introduction to RSA and the legislation will help you to understand the purpose of Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA). It explores the legislative requirements for different parties with responsibilities for RSA and the relevant fines and penalties if you do not meet your responsibilities.

Module 2: Alcohol and its effects will help you to understand and prepare standard drinks and identify the factors that impact a person’s blood alcohol consumption or BAC level. It will explore the different effects of alcohol and how you can identify the signs of intoxication in a customer.

Module 3: Responsible hospitality practices will explore a range of different responsible practices such as providing accurate information to customers, using responsible promotions and encouraging responsible drinking within appropriate limits.

Module 4: Refusing service will help you to identify which customers should be refused service and will provide you with tips and techniques to refuse service using the ‘Take Care’ method

**Assessment Summary:

In order to receive your interim certificate and statement of attainment, you will be required to successfully complete the following assessment activities:

  • Knowledge Assessment – Quiz-style questions to test your knowledge and understanding of NSW RSA requirements and legislation,
  • Case Study Assessment – Written responses to case studies and video scenarios assess your skills and responses to real-life workplace situations, and
  • Verbal Communication Assessment – completed via a short telephone conversation to assess your ability to communicate with a variety of customers in different situations.

Responsible Service of Alcohol NSW Online

Start Now Start Now

Who Needs a NSW RSA Certificate?

A Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate is required by Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&GNSW) to be held by any staff working in licensed premises who are selling, supplying or serving alcohol on the premises. L&GNSW also extends this requirement to the Licensee, the Secretary of a registered club, any staff who perform crowd control or bouncer activities, and to “RSA marshals, if they are required in the venue by law or licence condition”.

The L&GNSW website states:

“To sell, serve or supply alcohol in NSW, you must complete an RSA training course provided by an approved training provider. If you are new to the liquor industry or your RSA competency training took place more than five years ago, you need to complete a full training course.”

(Source: https://www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au/working-in-the-industry/serving-alcohol-responsibly)

Wikipedia broadens the scope somewhat:

“It (the RSA course) is mandatory throughout the country (Australia) for all people serving alcohol including bar staff, sommeliers, waiting staff (in licensed premises), airline staff, people serving at catered events and so on”

So if you’re already working, or intending to work in a venue that serves alcohol, you need an RSA Certificate to perform your role.

RSA Online NSW waitress

Start Now Start Now

What Are NSW RSA Photo Competency Cards?

Photo Competency Cards are plastic cards issue by the NSW Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing (L&GNSW) and are somewhat similar to a NSW Driver License.

RSA NSW competency card frontRSA NSW competency card back

The L&GNSW website has this to say about the card:

“The front of the card will display your photo, name, the expiry date, and the card number.

It will also indicate which competency certification(s) you have obtained. On the front, this will be listed with one or more letters after the word "Class".

The explanation for these letters is shown on the back of the card.

  • A = Responsible Service of Alcohol
  • G = Responsible Conduct of Gambling
  • P = Privacy training”

(Source: https://www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au/working-in-the-industry/training-to-work-in-the-industry/competency-cards/)

The L&GNSW NSW website goes on to emphasise that hospitality workers must be able to produce the photo competency card if requested by a police officer or L&GNSW inspector:

“Whether you're a staff member or an employer, you'll be fined if you work without a competency card, interim certificate, or valid paper certificate (outside precinct areas) or you allow employees to work without one.

Note: a photo competency card is called a 'recognised competency card' in the Liquor Regulation 2008 and the Gaming Machines Regulation 2010.”

(Source: https://www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au/working-in-the-industry/training-to-work-in-the-industry/competency-cards/nsw-competency-card-fines

Special Conditions apply and fines are much higher in the Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts.

How Long Do Photo Competency Cards Last?

Photo competency cards last for 5 years after the completion of the first course listed on the card (ie, this might be this NSW RSA course you do through this site). After five years the card expires and the course has to be repeated.

Can I do this course to renew or extend my current RSA NSW Competency Card?

After successfully completing the Urban e-Learning RSA NSW Online or correspondence course, you will be issued with an interim certificate from Liquor & Gaming which can only be used to obtain a new competency card, it cannot be used to renew your current or recently expired card. If you wish to renew or extend your current or recently expired competency card, please contact Liquor & Gaming.

Competency cards that have been expired for more than 28 days cannot be renewed, in this instance you are required to complete a whole new RSA course. The Urban E-Learning RSA NSW online course is suitable in this case and will result in a certificate that can be used to obtain a new competency card.

If you have completed an RSA NSW course within the last 5 years and wish to obtain a competency card, you must take your interim certificate from that original course to a Service NSW Centre as they will match it against their database (the certificate must be dated from when you did the original course, but it may be a copy or re-issued certificate if you have lost the original).

If you complete a second course within a 5-year period, the second course will be invalid; Liquor & Gaming will not issue a competency card with an interim certificate from the second course. If you cannot contact the original training provider or are unable to locate your original interim certificate, please contact Liquor & Gaming on 1300 024 720 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm) for further information.”

Who Pays for the Photo Competency Card and How Much Do They Cost.

The photo competency card is included in the cost of the course. We (as the training organisation (RTO), in this case Urban E-Learning, RTO number 31973 pay OLG NSW $97 for each photo competency card. We do not make any kind of mark-up, profit, or commission on the cards. Here is what the official L&GNSW NSW site has to say about photo competency card fees:

RSA photo competency card: The fee component of the RSA competency card is $101 and is added to the cost of the course. Course costs will vary between different training organisations.

RCG photo competency card: The fee component of the RCG competency card is $30 and is added to the cost of the course. Course costs will vary between different training organisations.

Combined RSA and RCG competency cards: The fee component for students completing both competencies is $100. To make sure that only one card is issued, you should complete both courses before applying to Australia Post - but you only need to take your RSA certificate to the post office.

(Source: https://www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au/working-in-the-industry/training-to-work-in-the-industry/getting-trained/responsible-service-of-alcohol-rsa

Start Now Start Now

* Should you require assistance while completing your online RSA NSW course, or are ready to complete your verbal assessment, our trainers are available between the hours of 8am and 5pm (AEST), Monday to Friday (excluding national, Queensland and Brisbane Metropolitan public holidays). During these times, our offices are staffed with trainers to answer calls and emails; however, if our trainers are assisting other students, emails and voicemails will be responded to within 2 business hours (prior to close of business where possible).

Outside of these hours there will be no trainer available to assist with your queries. Emails and voicemails received outside of business hours will be responded to before 10am (AEST) on the next business day.

The business hours for our processing team, who will arrange the delivery of your interim certificate on successful completion of your course, are Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) between 8am and 3pm (AEST). Should all elements of your course (including assessment and ID requirements) be finalised before 3pm (AEST), you will be processed that day and should receive your Liquor & Gaming interim certificate on the same day. If you complete all course elements after 3pm, you will be processed and receive your interim certificate on the next business day.

Other Courses:

The Registered Training Organisation behind RSAOnlineNSW.com (Urban e-Learning) also offers a range of other online courses. In the hospitality industry, we also offer 2 Safe Food Handling Certificate courses, online Responsible Service of Alcohol course for non NSW residents, and an online/virtual NSW liquor licensee training course. Another industry that may be of interest to people looking for casual work is construction. We offer one of Australia's leading Work Safely In The Construction Industry (White Card), online course. To see a full list of our courses, visit our corporate website: www.urbanelearning.com.