These weird alcohol facts are taken from DiscoverMagazine.com. You probably didn’t know this about your booze,
- According to experts fermented beverages were made as early as 100,000 years ago, when people first spread out of Africa.
- According to the Drunken Monkey Hypothesis, our desire for alcoholic drinks probably comes from our distant ancestors’ impulse to seek the ripest, most energy-intensive fruits.
- Alcohol ferments when enzymes, typically produced by yeast, convert sugar molecules in grapes or other grains into ethanol.
- Strangely, that process can also take place in the human digestive system, spiking every 100 ml of blood with 0.01 to 0.03 mg of alcohol.
- Ever heard of auto-brewery syndrome? Its when high levels of candida yeast in the intestines churn out so much alcohol that they can cause drunkenness!
Read more strange facts about alcohol here.