The festive season is once again upon us and before you blow all the hardwork and calorie counting you’ve done this year, here is a guide of the best options when it comes to drinking.
Remember that alcoholic drinks are usually very high in energy and low in nutritional value, for example compared to proteins or carbs which contribute 4 calories per gram, alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. In other words, one standard drink contains 10 grams of alcohol and 70 calories just from the alcohol, not counting the mixers.
Here are the number of calories in your standard drinks,
- Pina Colada = 289 calories
- One mojito = 170 calories
- 450mL schooner of regular beer = 163 calories
- 375mL bottle of cider = 144 calories
- 450mL schooner of light beer = 111 calories
- 150mLs champagne = 111 calories
- Gin and tonic (1 shot of gin with 125mL tonic) = 110 calories
- 150mLs red wine = 102 calories
- 150mLs white wine = 102 calories
- Alternate one alcoholic drink with one non-alcoholic one. Avoid sugary soft-drinks and opt for sparkling water instead as a mixer.
- Opt for low-alcohol beer and wine instead of regular strength.
- Avoid high sugar, creamy cocktails and opt for those based on sparkling water.
- Make you wine into a spritzer by mixing it with sparkling water to cut the calories.
- Avoid salty foods when drinking, they make you thirstier.